Wednesday, February 2, 2011

River Otters

River Otters

These are quickly becoming my favorite mammal. I love the dolphins, but these guys are equally as cool. River Otters live in rivers where fish, mussels, or crab are in abundance. They're very cautious animals, but seem to feel very safe on the opposite bank of a river from you. They are agile swimmers, very able fisherman, and cute as hell.

I've seen river otters all over this delta, it's hard to pin down the specific places they live, they just live everywhere. The salinity doesn't seem to effect them too much, as they've been in the bay in Pass-a-loutre, mouth of south pass, and everywhere in the marsh.

We have a pair of otters living on the inlet we're docked on. The island is a two acre rectangle, with two small river passes on the east and west side, and two inlets on opposite north south ends of the island. This leaves a narrow land bridge on both north south ends of the small island. The otters live in the inlets, probably in the reeds or marsh, and fish in the waters our house boat is docked on.

They gorge themselves on the endless supply of fish. They fish for hours every night.

Sometimes very curious, letting you pass close to them, as they watch you. And sometimes very cautious, diving immediately upon seeing you.

I've been on a mission since I got here to capture a good picture of one. I'd stalk them at night. Sit in a dark corner waiting for them. Or come upon them with a headlamp. The problem has been, on the island, they only come out at night. You can't take a quick picture or a good one. Luck was finally with me, as I walked outside, midday, and found one on the shore eating lunch. I quickly ran inside, grabbed my camera, and got beautiful pictures of him as he ate, and then ran off into the reeds.

The one around here seems to be paired with no offspring. They play with each other, and squeek at each other as they touch noses. When they play, they corkscrew their bodies together, like DNA. It's really quite adorable. I love to watch them at night. They're virtually silent as they swim in the water. They love watching you when you're not looking. Sometimes you'll turn your head and two otter heads will quickly go under, ashamed they were caught watching you.

I just hope they can stay away from the coyotes.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say that I've been living my field biology dreams vicariously through you ^^ (this lab rat ain't cut out for the outdoors). Also, I love the way you compared the ottos to DNA.

    ~Jen W.

    ReplyDelete